Blogger Widgets

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Batgirl Volume 1: The Darkest Reflection (New 52)

Author: Gail Simone

Illustrator: Ardain Syaf and Vicenete Cifuentes
Title: Batgirl Volume 1: The Darkest Reflection (New 52)
Publication: July 17, 2012
Publisher: DC Comics
Genre: Graphic Novel, Comic Book, Villains 
Pages: 144
Audience: 16 and up
Rating: 5 out of 5
Source: Purchased

Synopsis (from the cover): Batgirl is back! Three years ago, the brilliant and brazen Barbara Gordon received a nearly life-ending shot to the spine at the hands of the Joker. Not only did she survive but, after years of paralysis, she also regained her ability to walk. A miracle, and Batgirl was born again! Now Barbara must prove to her mentors Batman and Nightwing, as well as her Police Commissioner father, that she's ready to get her life up and running again. Even more important she must prove it to herself. But getting back on her feet in Gotham City will become even more challenging when a very personal hit list is revealed in the hands of a new villain. And Barbara's name is on it.

My thoughts:
I was a little sad when Batgirl was rebooted. Not because I wasn't happy Barbara was back as Batgirl, but because I'm pretty sure they erased the part of her being a librarian. That's okay though because this story is AWESOME! You meet Barbara as a young lady and she is ready to get out on her own and start her own life. The graphic novel starts currently, but it flashes back to when she was paralyzed and how life was for her then. She is still dealing with the guilt of being able to walk again and it continues to rear it's ugly head throughout the novel. She does fight some bad guys in between. Then a person we never thought would come into her life re-appers, which I found odd and suspicious. I think more will come about that later...or at least I hope. The one thing the writers did not touch is the budding romance between Batgirl and Nightwing and I'm happy for that...considering Batgirl and Nightwing are my wedding cake toppers. This story is awesome. It provides enough back story to get you through the novel and it provides plenty of butt kicking to keep you entertained!

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't started any of the New 52 yet (for reasons unknown and/or stupid), but I think I'll pick this one up. I've always had a soft spot for Batgirl, and I'm glad to hear the story lives up to my undying love for her <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I don't use to read comic book anymore but they always catch my eyes at the library! Nice review, love the fact that Barbara ''was'' a librarian! Anyway the cover is beautiful I should probably try them again, but I guess I will have to start from the first one to get the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete