Blogger Widgets

Monday, February 4, 2013

At Home with My Daddy's Stories

Narrator:  Kathryn Tucker Windham
Title: At Home with My Daddy's Stories
Publication: January 2002
Publisher: August House Audio
Genre: Storytelling, Memoir
Length: 63:39
Audience: 7 and up
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Source: Purchased

 Synopsis (from the cover):She is a living icon of the family storytelling renaissance in America. And to her tell it, Kathryn Tucker Windham owes it all to her father, the small town banker, school board chairman, and Sunday school superintendent who always came home with a story. These stories celebrate the father he was and the stories that are his legacy.

My thoughts:
Growing up in the south, I believe Kathryn Tucker Windham's stories are a staple. I remember watching videos of her telling stories in elementary school. I remember my elementary school librarian reading to us parts of 13 Alabama Ghosts and Jeffery. I also remember going to my public library and renting the VHS of Mrs. Windham telling her stories along with the book. If you have never heard Mrs. Windham talk you are in for a treat! (Seriously, youtube her!) She is a sweet, little old, southern woman. I love her accent and the way she tells stories.  She recently died in 2011 at the age of 93.  She was on up in years when she recorded this CD. I was expecting stories that her father told her. I did not know they were going to be stories about her father. I guess I should have read the back cover, but I just adore her and her stories that I bought it without hesitation. Her stories tell of a different and long forgotten era. An era of a self-made man (without an education, which is very hard these days), an era without television, and an era of simpler times. Some of the stories sound a little bit like rambling and I tuned in and out at times. I felt a bit bad, but I'm giving an honest review. The parts that did keep me interested where good and funny and told a lot of history especially about Alabama. I guess you could describe her storytelling style that of a grandmother who is filling you in on things that happened  "back in the day", but she does it in a way that doesn't bore you to death. If you would like to try this audiobook, it is available through Audible.


No comments:

Post a Comment