Blogger Widgets

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Audio Review: Life After Life by Kate Atkinson

Title: Life After Life: A Novel
Author: Kate Atkinson
Narrator: Fenella Woolgar
Publisher: Hachette Audio
Format: Unabridged Audio
Length: 14 hrs 34 mins
Publication: April 2, 2013
Source: Library
Genre: Historical Fiction

Synopsis: On a cold and snowy night in 1910, Ursula Todd is born, the third child of a wealthy English banker and his wife. Sadly, she dies before she can draw her first breath. On that same cold and snowy night, Ursula Todd is born, lets out a lusty wail, and embarks upon a life that will be, to say the least, unusual. For as she grows, she also dies, repeatedly, in any number of ways. Clearly history (and Kate Atkinson) have plans for her: In Ursula rests nothing less than the fate of civilization.
My Thoughts: Ursula is unique. She gets to relive her life many times. During each of her lives events happen that cause her an untimely death. When she encounters these events the second time around Ursula has uncanny feelings and is able to to make different choices. 

I really enjoyed this read. I connected with Ursula easily and I wanted her to have a happy ending. Given the times and situations that was not always possible. I was heart broken with each of her deaths including the final one. During her lives Ursula is an abuse housewife, friend and confidant to Eva Braun, and a single woman doing what she can for England's war effort. This story left me wondering if I could change anything about my past and do it differently what would I change and how would that one change effect the world? 

No comments:

Post a Comment