Blogger Widgets

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Big Girl Panties by Stephanie Evanovich (Audiobook)

Author: Stephanie Evanovich
Narrator: Katie Schorr
Title:Big Girl Panties
Publication: July 9, 2013
Publisher: Harper Audio
Genre: Chick Lit, Romance
Pages: 368
Length: 9.5 hours
Audience: 18 and up
Rating:  3 out of 5
Source: Public Library

Synopsis (from the cover):  Holly didn't expect to be a widow at thirty two. She also didn't expect to be so big. After her husband's death, food was the one thing she could always count on. Now, those extra pounds make flying coach feel like medieval torture- especially when she's squished next to Logan Montgomery. A personal trainer to famous pro athletes, her seatmate is so hot that he makes Holly sweat in all the right (and so embarrassingly wrong!) places.
Logan finds himself intrigues by Holly's sharp wit and keen insights, so he impulsively offers to get her back in shape. Holly turns out to be a natural in the gym, slimming down into a  bona fide looker with killer curves- and a new kind of hunger. Before either of them can stop it, the easy intimacy of their training sessions leads to even more steamy workouts away from the gym. But can a man whose whole life depends on looks commit himself to a woman who doesn't fit his ideal? Now that Holly's turning other men's heads, does she even need Logan anymore? Are they a couple built to last...or destined to fizzle? 


My thoughts:
I'm still a little unsure about this book. It seemed to do a lot of fat shaming. In my mind Holly was never obese. She was just overweight. From other reviews I read that was the main problem a lot of people had with the book. The author just did not portray overweight people properly. Some people are overweight, but are otherwise healthy people. And some people just do not care and are happy with themselves, I fall into this group. So I had a hard time sympathizing with Logan's view of Holly and sometimes Holly as well. 
Another problem that arose from the novel was the randomly changing view points. The author would flip from Logan to Holly to Amanda to Chase to Natalie to Tina except shuffle that up a bit. I didn't have a huge problem with it because the narrator, Katie Schorr did a great job of doing a distinct voice for each character. My husband listened to a little of the book with me and we both think she sounds like Rebecca Soler who narrated Cinder and Scarlet. They are both great narrators in my book.
 Even though this book had some flaws there was something about Logan and Holly's relationship that really pulled at my heart strings and made me care about the characters and even dislike a few.
Overall, this book is just a short sweet romance novel. I enjoyed it and if you are more into romance than I am, I'm sure you'll enjoy it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment